Monday, September 5, 2011

Anthony Fitzpatrick's Sherlock Holmes Strategy

Anthony's Sherlock Holmes strategy reminded me of a book that I read this summer, Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning.  In his book, Mike Schmoker encourages close reading in social studies, in which students research and formulate answers to a central, standards related question.  It also incorporates writing and discussion.  This was something that I was planning to try to do this year, and the Sherlock Holmes strategy will help me to do that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed by your summer reading, Karen! I definitely feel that inquiry based learning is an area where I'm continuing to develop as an educator. Thanks for passing along a book that will help me to improve in this area!

    ReplyDelete