Monday, September 5, 2011

Fran Macko's Building Prior Knowledge in History

I have had the same experience with KWL charts as Fran described in her presentation on August 19.  They have always seemed to be a waste of time because the students don't have enough background knowledge to make the charts useful.  I thought that the BKWLQ strategy was a great way to remedy my student's lack of knowledge in social studies.  I look forward to using this strategy, especially using some of the reading materials suggested by Fran. 

1 comment:

  1. I've had those same experiences, too, Karen! Especially by 5th grade, students seem far more interested in moving on than reflecting on what they already know. I'm not sure if you've attended the Bonnie Bishop training, but she also talked about some of her frustrations with KWL charts and the importance of building background knowledge before attempting them.

    ReplyDelete